What is sciatica?
Not everyone is exactly clear on what sciatica is, it is not exactly a diagnosis but a symptom of an underlying condition. It is a term for back pain that usually extends down the leg and it is EXTREMELY painful for those who suffer from it. This is one of the most common reasons that patients come to see a calgary counsellor is to find relief from the pain and immobility of sciatica.
Common symptoms of sciatica:
- Often it is pain that begins in your lower back and it travels down the leg, sometimes all the way down to your toes.
- Though most commonly associated with pain, sciatica can also be a burning or tingling sensation.
- You can have numbness or weakness in the leg muscle, most often it only affects one leg and not both
What causes sciatica?
The name ‘sciatica’ comes from the sciatic nerve, which runs from your lower back down both legs and to your toes. The sciatic nerve is formed from the nerves that come out of the spine in your lower back. All these nerves come together to make the largest nerve in the body – the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve send messages from the brain to each of your legs, allowing you to walk feel sensations and feel it when you stub your pinkie toe on the furniture. calgary naturopathic doctors and any holistic medicine calgary can help try this url http://activebacktohealth.com/all-services-2/naturopathic/ for things like : food sensitivity testing calgary, calgary marriage counsellor
The most common causes of sciatica:
- Herniated discs, where one of the discs of the spine bulges out to the side and presses on the nerves
- Trapped nerves in the lumbar spine
- Piriformis syndrome – a muscle in the buttocks over the sciatic nerve that can irritate the nerves
- Muscle knots in the lower back or buttocks that can cause the sensation of pain down the legs, mimicking sciatica
How Can a Chiropractor Help with Sciatica?
Sciatica is best treated with a combination of Calgary chiropractors adjustments, massage therapy, stretching along with ice packs or Biofreeze. This allows you to address any misalignments of your spine and pelvis and can take the pressure of the nerves; it can also help with any herniated discs. Massage therapy can help with the tight muscles around the spine and piriformis, this works in conjunction with the adjustments and relaxes muscles. Stretching exercises and ice packs can help reduce the swelling around the nerve and help speed recovery.
The symptoms common with sciatica can also indicate more serious underlying conditions and you should be checked thoroughly by a physician before undergoing any treatment. If you’re having trouble controlling your bowels or bladder or are experiencing numbness, then you need to head to the emergency room immediately.Some of the other great services we can help with is naturopath calgary
See us for Naturopathy , chiropractic care